Nowadays, blenders are popular and have become one of the indispensable kitchen appliances. Blenders are used for many different cooking purposes: making smoothies, grinding food, juicing, and even grinding ice.
However, crushing ice seems to be a tough blending job that requires certain features of a blender and in the crushing process. Keep reading for further information! Let’s learn the best ways on how to crush ice in a blender with Blender Command in the article below.
Can all types of blenders crush ice?
Many types of industrial blenders are often used to grind ice and other hard items quite well. However, not all types of blenders can handle these ingredients. The power of the blender must be strong enough to be able to crush ice. Otherwise, the ice will ruin the blender quickly.
Many people are concerned about “Is a hand blender suitable for crushing ice?”.
Of course, a hand blender can still shave ice into a snow-like consistency. However, you should choose an immersion blender with high capacity, durable material and especially if it has recommendations for crushing ice on product packaging or guideline.
How To Crush Ice In A Blender?
Step 1: Prepare ingredients
- For crushing ice, you must have some ice cubes. You should smash ice into smaller ice cube pieces before grinding to keep the machine durable and safe to use.
- A blender with suitable capacity.
Step 2: Put a handful of ice into the pitcher
- Put ice in a blender. You should not give too much ice at one time to make the machine stuck. The amount of ice should take up 1/3 of the blender capacity or more but less than 2/3 for the best performance of the blender.
- Then, close the lid tightly so that the ice does not splash out during the grinding time. If the lid is thin and has some cracks, you should hold it carefully and watch out to avoid the unexpected situation. It would be better if you have an alternative item to replace it.
Step 3: Activate the blender
- Press the “on” button to start blending and choose the appropriate blending functions (if it has). You should choose from the low to higher speed and press “pulse” to finish (if the machine provides many speed functions). Some blenders only have a speed mode which is easier for you to control but may damage the blades if crushing hard ingredients like ice rapidly.
- Check if the amount of ice cubes has been completely crushed through the transparent pitcher. Some pitchers are blurred or made of stainless steel, then stop the machine and open the lid to check. Never open the lid of the blender while operating.
Step 4: Take out and drain the excess water
- After grinding, remember to drain off the water to limit melting. You can hold something over the top of the blender to block the ice and then pour the water out, or use a sieve for this job.
Step 5: Use it to make your drink or store for the next time
- Pour ice into a glass and continue making your favorite drink.
- If not using it all, put the left ice in a bag and keep it in the freezer.
How To Choose A Blender For Ice Crushing?
Choose motors that are strong and have a capacity of about 500W or more. It would be ideal with a power of over 1000W.
You should avoid choosing a glass jug to shave ice because it is very fragile when the ice hits the sides at high speeds. Instead, a pitcher made of high-quality plastic will be a better pick to ensure safety when blending.
An important feature that you need to keep in mind is the blade material. Currently, there are many types of blender blades, but to grind ice, you should choose serrated blades. They can cut better without making them blunt. They should be made from high-quality materials to be strong and durable.
Alternative Methods To Crush Ice Without A Blender
In some cases, you do not have any blender at home, or your blender has temporarily broken down, here are a few backup solutions that may help you:
- Use a canvas bag and pounding pestle: Place ice in the bag (or a tower) and use pounding pestle smash continuously until it becomes your desired texture.
- Use a food crusher with high power: it is similar to the blender. However, read the information on the packaging to make sure it can crush ice.
In conclusion, making shaved ice with a blender is a convenient solution to create cool ice cream in hot weather. It seems that crushing ice with a blender is very simple, but if you do not choose the right blender and use it incorrectly, it can reduce the durability of the machine. Hope my sharing about using a blender for crushing ice gives you meaningful information!